Legalisation: How to get it right – GRO Documents

By the end of this post you should know exactly what to do in order to have GRO (General Register Office) documents legalised and how to avoid delays caused by documents prepared incorrectly.

In our office, we receive hundreds of documents every week for legalisation at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), and we have noticed some common mistakes.

Some of the most common problems are related to General Register Office (GRO) documents, such as birth, death and marriage certificates.

The FCO will only legalise copies issued by the GRO themselves. Even if the copy has been authenticated by a solicitor or Notary Public, the FCO will still not legalise it. The reason for this is that they have been advised that the General Register Office (GRO) or local Registry Offices are the only designated authorities in the UK who may issue certified copies of these documents.

The same applies to Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) and “No Trace” letters issued by the GRO.

So basically, nothing needs to be done to this kind of document before they are legalised. There is no need for any certification to be added to them. Just send them for legalisation as they are.


Legalisation: How to get it right – GRO Documents

One thought on “Legalisation: How to get it right – GRO Documents

Comments are closed.